Tuesday, 16 June 2009

When Life Threatens to Swamp the WIP...

...how do you get around (or through) it to make progress?

One of the hardest things for me is finding concentrated amounts of time to focus on my manuscript. Mostly I just have small slices consisting of an hour or two, which is not conducive to really getting into a good flowing writing zone.

Thankfully, I can work on poetry, do marketing and agent research or other small projects, but when weeks and months go by and I haven't moved past chapter 10 in revisions, the frustration mounts. Would love to hear how y'all handle this if it happens to you.


[Somebody please let me know if we're not supposed to post like this.]


*Photo from Photobucket.com

7 comments:

  1. you're totally meant to post like this! You're as much as an author on here as I am. Like the post - and the pic.

    I feel the same way. Every now and then I can do great work in a really concentrated time between other bits of life but usually I need a bit of ceremony to get me into the 'writing space' in my head. That's what the candle's about. The moment I light it, my brain snaps into writing mode. When I'm writing, the phone's ignored, the door's shut and nobody's allowed in except the muse (put that in for Eric.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh heh. Thanks Rebecca. My biggest problem is forming the entire story. I've come to the conclusion lately that I have great beginnings, but no follow-through. I find myself two chapters in wondering where to go with it. I need to come up with some better methods for working out the whole story (at least some framework) so I know where I'm going with it. I would probably make more time if I felt I could make progress, but I'm in a rut lately. I have a few story ideas I'm playing around with, but I have no idea where I want them to go after page 3. HELP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric, have you read Karen Wiesner's Novel Draft in 30 Days? (I think that's the name, but a google search will locate it for you.) And half.com has some great low low prices on used books. That's where I got my copy. It really worked for me. I had my current 84K current WIP's framework down using the user friendly instructions. Worth a shot anyway...otherwise, I'm a great starter, slow-if-at-all finisher too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to answer you, Rebecca -- I wish I could blot out the phone, yapping in the house, etc., but teenville where I live just doesn't make that possible. The other thing is, I spend half the week helping take care of my mom (brain cancer), and when I get home, like just now, I feel drained and whipped. The next day I recover, but you can see the endless cycle of broken concentration. Argh!

    Need to get totally away from home for the muse to visit usually, except she is right nice about helping me with poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Angie. I'll look that up. At this point, I take all advice and use it accordingly. I know what stage in the learning process I'm in, and I'm okay with that (most of the time).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angie. I'm sorry about your mum. It's very impressive you're able to prioritise writing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to help, Eric. That book really saved me a lot of time and brain cells.

    Thanks, Rebecca. Lots of times the only writing I do is for the blog, my steady editing for others, and stuff for The Rose & Thorn, but at least that keeps my hat in the ring. One day I'll get back on track.

    ReplyDelete

Offer the writers some support on their WIPs. Cheerleaders and fans always welcome. Don't forget to pop over to our personal blogs when you finish here.